Arguments against Eleventy
by Roy Revelt · posted on · a thought
Codsen.com was previously on Eleventy, pure static HTML+CSS, served from the Edge via Cloudflare workers.
The problems with that setup were:
- Flashing when navigating between pages
- Components written in Nunjucks — not as universal as JSX
- Absence of MDX
- A poorer DX in general, stemming from Nunjucks itself — for example, compare the Nunjucks and TS linting
- Cloudflare Workers can be fragile, the
wranglerprogram which serves the sites is buggy
- Being on edge, without a server, doesn’t mean you spend any less than using a server + CDN
- Unable to share Nunjucks components in tester web apps driven by Vue
I’m sure most of that could be solved one way or another. But I just outgrew the 11ty baby shirt.